Having a robust destination management plan (DMP) is essential when rallying local businesses to invest more time and resource into their tourism offer. GTP offers a destination consultancy service to help local authorities to turn their tourism targets into workable action plans, and to inspire tourism businesses to work together to achieve the same goals. With a commercial mind set and a not-for-profit personality, we will help you reach new territories, build new partnerships and secure contracts.
Go To Places has created and delivered six bespoke destination management plans for very different locations, all of which helped local authorities:
- Help existing businesses to improve their performance and to work together more closely
- Identify, encourage and support additional visitor economy businesses and facilities
- Highlight opportunities afforded by on-going investment in regeneration programmes and projects
- Provide toolkits and shared stories so that partners and businesses spread a consistent, positive message about your destination
- Ensure that key public and private sector players work together to achieve agreed tourism development priorities
- Improve the skills of people who work in the tourism industry and the quality of welcome and service received by visitors
The Thanet Shared Story
In 2013, Go To Places created a five year DMP for Thanet District Council to support their tourism businesses’ sustainability, growth and inward investment. Building on existing activity in the coastal district’s three main towns – Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate – the DMP was developed with more than 60 representatives through workshops, action-planning sessions and presentations. The work included a Shared Story Toolkit highlighting the district’s unique visitor offer, which was provided to all partners to ensure a unified voice and positive language when planning improvements and new experiences. We also held workshops and training for SMEs, and conducted research into the district’s tourism performance.