Go To Places warmly welcomes today’s announcement that Government has awarded the UK tourism industry a Sector Deal as part of its Industrial Strategy.
Regarding the positive news, Deirdre Wells, Chair of The Tourism Alliance and Go To Places chief executive said: “Tourism has always been one of the UK's largest and most vibrant industries. The Tourism Sector Deal recognises not just the importance of the sector to the UK economy, but the vast potential that it has for future growth.”
Key commitments of the deal include:
- Creating a new Tourism Data Hub which will collate regularly updated data showing the latest trends and spends, allowing businesses to better target overseas visitors
- Creating 30,000 apprenticeships each year by 2025 to help people build and develop careers in the tourism and hospitality sectors
- Implementing an industry mentoring programme to support 10,000 employees each year
- Building over 130,000 new hotel rooms across the UK by 2025, with 75% to be built outside London
- Improving broadband connectivity in conference centres across the UK for business visitors
- Piloting up to five new Tourism Zones to drive visitor numbers across the country
- A new strategy to grow the number of business events and conferenes in the UK to help drive off-seasons visits
Full details of the Sector Deal can be downloaded here.